A notice of intention to sue should be given to the respondent before making a claim in court.  Otherwise, the costs of filing the claim will not be recoverable.  The notice can be given in the form of a Final Notice or a Letter of Demand.  The recipient has 21 days to respond to your notice, in which time the recipient may:

  • pay the money that you claim you are owed
  • negotiate with you to come to an arrangement
  • ask to go to a pre-action meeting between the parties to negotiate a resolution
  • ignore the notice

If the respondent agrees to pay the money or you are able to negotiate an agreement, you will not need to take further action in court.  If the other party does not want to pay, you have the option to proceed to a pre-action meeting if both parties agree to attend. See Mediation for more information.

It is important that you wait 21 days before making a formal claim. If you don’t wait 21 days and your claim is eventually successful, you may not be able to recover your costs from the other party.

Being involved in a court action can be a complex and costly process. A final notice is not a formal court action. However, it provides an opportunity for you to voluntarily negotiate a resolution with the respondent without further involvement by the court. This may save you costs, time and court appearances.

You can register an account via the online CourtSA portal to complete a Final Notice document.

You will need to have some details prepared before you can complete the P1 final notice form online. You will need to know:

  • the correct names and addresses of all parties involved
  • the reason for your final notice
  • the amount owed

If the other party is a company, you will need to have the correct name and registered office address of the company. If you don’t know these details, you can contact the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) as they have details of all registered Australian companies.

If the other party is a business you will need the name of the owner of the business, the correct business name and the business address. If you don’t know these details, you can contact Consumer and Business Services and they will be able to help you. You can call them on 131 882 or visit their website.

The CourtSA Help Centre will guide you through the process on how to register via the portal. If you require procedural advice please contact the CourtSA Registry on (08) 8204 2444 or enquiry@courts.sa.gov.au.

You can send the debtor a Letter of Demand in lieu of a Final Notice of Claim. A letter of demand is a notice in writing asking the debtor to pay the money owed within 21 days before you file a claim in court.

The Final Notice of Claim or Letter of Demand must be delivered to the other party. This is known as ‘serving’ the notice. You can give it to them personally or you can send it by post email or mail. The 21 day of the notice commences from when the post office is likely to deliver the letter containing the notice.

You will need to pay a fee for lodging final notice of claim using a credit/debit card.

You can view the fees for commencement of actions, and note that the fee might increase as of 1 July each year. You may be able to recover the cost of the notice from the other party if:

  • an agreement is not reached after sending the notice, and
  • you commence formal legal action, and
  • your legal action is successful

View the current fees.