A new method of notifying people to come to court for some summary offences has been introduced in the Adelaide Magistrates Court.  The process aims to shorten the time between the alleged offending and appearing in court and to provide important information prior to coming to court.  The Police and Courts appreciate it can be stressful waiting to attend court and resolve a criminal matter and so have set up an Early Resolution Court to assist people charged with simple summary offences.

Some people will continue to be placed on bail or be served a summons by a police officer.  However, other people, who were not arrested, may receive a phone call from the police advising them of their court date and time.

If you receive a phone call, the police will advise you what you are being charged with and when you are required to attend court.  The police will follow-up the phone call with a text message confirming your court date and time and this will also include your police apprehension report number.

The summary of evidence about your case may be posted, e-mailed or faxed to you.  You will also be able to go to the nominated Police Station and collect a copy of the summary of evidence.  To ensure your privacy, you will need to show the police photo identification and the text message you were sent. If you intend pleading guilty, this summary of evidence will be detailed to the court by the prosecutor.  If you wish to get legal advice, you can take this summary of evidence to your lawyer.  It is in your best interest to have this summary of evidence before your court date so that you know what the police are alleging against you and this will help you decide how to plead.

If you have received a phone call from the police, your case will be listed in the Early Resolution Court.  You will be able to either plead guilty on this day or get an adjournment if you need time to seek legal advice.  You will also be able to talk to the prosecutor if you wish to query any of the information in your summary of evidence.  If you wish to talk to a prosecutor before your court date, you can contact the relevant Prosecution Unit.

If you do not attend court on the date advised, the court will order a summons to be issued and police will serve it on you.​