You can check your hearings on CourtSA, request assistance for a hearing or request an adjournment by consent

To view any scheduled or past hearings, you need to be within the case.


  1. Login and go to My Cases
  2. In the ‘My Existing Cases’ tab, click ‘View Case’ for the appropriate case
  3. Click on the ‘Hearings’ tab

If you would like to request assistance for the hearing, including:

  • Appearing by phone
  • Appear by audio visual link
  • An interpreter, or
  • Any other request

you can click on the document with plus sign  icon under ‘Actions’.

To request an interpreter for a trial, please email

To request to adjourn a hearing by consent, you need to be within the ‘Hearings’ tab and click the   icon under ‘Actions’